Monasteries, Churches and landmarks

"Assumption of Virgin Mary" monastery of Trojan

The monastery is located beside the river Tcherni Osam, at 10 km far away from the town of Trojan. It is the third considerable monastery of the country and is the biggest one of the north Bulgaria. It is created during the XVI century. The beautiful mural paintings in the church "The Holy Virgin" are created during the period of 1847-1849 by the famous Bulgarian painter of the Bulgarian national revival Zachari Zograph. The beautiful wood-carving of the sanctuary is a product of the wood-carving school of the town of Trjavna (year 1839).

The monks from the monastery and their abbot participated actively in the national liberation movement. During the war between Russia and Turkey in the monastery was a military field-hospital. Interest for the visitors is the hiding place of Vasil Levsky and the small museum collection of churches' plates.

"Assumption of Virgin Mary" monastery of Trojan

Girl’s monastery

Girl’s monastery

It is located in the town of Apriltzi. It is related to the heroic events during the April uprising. After the burning down by the Turks, today the monastery is restored and a charnel house as an honor for the perished is erected.


"The Assumption" monastery of Batoshevo

It is located at east at 20 km far from the town of Apriltzi. It is founded during the XIII century. It was destroyed during the Turkish invasion during XIV century and it was restored during the 1838.

The sanctuary is of very high art-level, as well as the icon of the Holy Virgin and the wall paintings in the western part of the open narthex, made by Tzanjo Zachariev (Staria), representative of the Art school of Trjavna. During the Bulgarian national revival, in the monastery was a school, where the priest Matey Preobrajenski - Mitkaloto and Batcho Kiro Petrov got his education.

"The Assumption" monastery of Batoshevo

The church in the village of Scandalo

The church in the village of Scandalo

The church “Archangel Michael” in the was erected during the year 1872 and is remarkable mainly with the stone plastic art - pigeons' figures over the church stone cornice.